Determining Who is Responsible for Nursing Home Negligence or Injury
When family members put a loved one in a nursing home, they expect the staff to provide them with as much care as they would for their own family. While this is the type of care and treatment provided in many nursing homes, it’s not true across the board. Many nursing homes are negligent in several areas and could create a risk to their patients. If negligence leads to injuries, then it’s important to get a bedsore lawyer in Brooklyn, NY involved. Here’s how we can determine who is responsible for nursing home negligence or injury.
What Are Nursing Homes Responsible For?
Nursing homes have a legal responsibility to provide a level of care according to the industry standards. Any resident of a nursing home who suffers abuse or injuries can hold nursing homes liable. You should have peace of mind knowing your elderly loved one is being taken care of in a nursing home and shouldn’t have to worry about how they are treated. Some of the common issues nursing homes are responsible for include:
- Not providing sufficient necessities, like food and water
- Not training new staff members appropriately
- Failing to maintain equipment designed to help residents move around
- Not providing sufficient security
- Intentionally abusing or neglecting residents
- Exposing residents to health or safety hazards
Determining Who Is Responsible For Injuries Or Neglect
If your loved one has experienced neglect or injury, a bedsore lawyer in the Bronx needs to narrow down who is responsible. The range of people that could be responsible include:
- Nursing home caregivers – these individuals are responsible for ensuring residents get the food, water, medication, and other necessities needed to live a quality life. If they neglect to do these things in any way, then they and their employer could be held responsible.
- Residents – sometimes other residents in a nursing home can be physically abusive or reckless. It’s the nursing home staff’s job to ensure these residents are handled appropriately so they don’t harm others. Many times this doesn’t happen, though, before it’s too late.
- Maintenance personnel – these are the people who clean the floors and ensure there are no safety hazards for residents. Slip-and-fall accidents are too common, and maintenance personnel is often responsible for them.
Take Action Immediately With Nursing Home Neglect Or Injury
If your loved one indicates they are being neglected at a nursing home or has experienced an injury, reach out to a NY bedsore lawyer as soon as possible. You should be able to trust the nursing home staff to provide the best care to your loved one, but this often doesn’t happen whether it’s intentional or not. A good NY bedsore lawyer will ensure your family is compensated for any injuries suffered at a nursing home as a result of neglect.
If you need a bedsore lawyer in Brooklyn, NY, Sinel & Olesen, PLLC is readily available to assist. We have extensive experience working on cases in which nursing homes neglected to provide proper care to residents. Don’t wait to talk to one of our experienced attorneys, so contact us today to get a free case evaluation.